Korean BBQ, particularly the all-you-can-eat (AYCE) style, is a popular dining experience that offers a wide variety of dishes and flavors. Here’s an overview of the typical AYCE Korean BBQ dishes and how to order them.
- Meats: The star of Korean BBQ, the meat selection often includes beef (such as bulgogi and galbi), pork belly, chicken, and sometimes seafood. These are often marinated in a variety of sauces, ranging from savory soy-based marinades to spicy chili concoctions.
- Banchan: These are the side dishes that accompany the grilled meats. Common banchan includes kimchi, pickled radishes, bean sprouts, spinach, and more. They add different textures and flavors to the meal.
- Vegetables: Often served raw or lightly blanched, vegetables like lettuce, mushrooms, onions, and garlic are used for wrapping the grilled meats or grilling alongside them.
- Rice and Noodles: Steamed rice or noodles like japchae can be part of the AYCE menu, providing a starchy base to the meal.
- Soups and Stews: Some AYCE Korean BBQ places offer traditional Korean soups and stews, such as kimchi jjigae or doenjang jjigae, as part of the meal.
- Desserts: Though not always included, some restaurants offer simple desserts like fresh fruit or traditional Korean sweets.
How to Order
- Choose the AYCE Option: Most Korean BBQ restaurants offer different AYCE tiers or packages, each with a specific selection of meats and other dishes. The price varies depending on the tier, with premium options including higher-quality cuts of meat.
- Select Your Meats and Sides: Once you’ve chosen your tier, you can start selecting the meats and sides you want to begin with. Some places allow you to order a few items at a time to ensure freshness.
- Grill and Enjoy: The meats are brought to your table raw, and you grill them to your liking on the built-in grill. The staff may assist you, especially if you’re new to the experience.
- Repeat: The beauty of AYCE is that you can continue ordering as long as you’re still hungry. Just keep in mind that some restaurants may have rules against excessive waste, so it’s good to order in moderation.
- Ask for the Bill: Once you’re satisfied, simply ask for the bill. Some places may include dessert as a sweet ending to the meal.
All-you-can-eat Korean BBQ is a delightful culinary adventure that allows diners to explore a wide array of flavors and textures. The interactive nature of grilling your food and the communal aspect of sharing dishes with friends and family make it a unique and enjoyable dining experience. Whether you’re a fan of spicy pork or succulent beef, the variety and abundance of AYCE Korean BBQ ensure that there’s something for every palate.